500 sport for sale?

Morini related only please
bigred

500 sport for sale?

Post by bigred »

Hi. I spent this winter doing up a 500 sport as you can see on the projects page etc on the forum. I have spent about £1500 on getting it running. It runs beautifully and I did my first 50 mile run without a hitch. Everything works well and it starts first press of the starter and pulls really strongly and ticks over really well.However i am 68 years old and 6 foot tall with a knackered left knee. I loved the way the bike goes, handles and stops but the riding position is very hard on my back and knee.
I am hoping with a couple of runs I will get used to it but if not, whats a reasonable price for these bikes. I am hoping for close to £4300. Does that sound reasonable for ebay etc
Last edited by bigred on 28 Mar 2023 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
'It must be a .....'

Re: 500 sport for sale?

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Paul, it might be worth experinenting with touring handlebars instead of the clipons?
Although you will need the touring top yoke (or swan neck clipons)

Also touring bars combined with rear sets are even more comfortable; I'm 6' 1"
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hi . I did think about a conversion to normal bars or swan neck clip ons but I dont want to spend a lot more money and find its still not for me. I am booked into a classic vehicle event on the 23rd with the bike so no great rush to decide yet
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

My 3 1/2 has Tomaselli clip ons that are noticeably higher than the standard ones without looking like I've gone Easy Rider! Certainly fine for a day's riding.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

The standard footrest and handlebars are not good for anyone tall. On my 500 I've gone full on tourer spec for that reason. I fitted a tourer top yoke and a pair of fairly high bars (CG125 but I'll keep that secret) The footrests are still the worst part though. I couldn't get them right till I lowered them on the splines further than they would normally go and modded the pedals to suit. It is now all day comfy. I did also get the seat foam replaced with something more resilient than the crumbling original stuff. It doesn't look very sporty now but ask me if I care-I'll be too busy using it to reply. :wink:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
norbert

Post by norbert »

:lol:
The worst thing of the Morinis (nearly the only thing) to me is the position of the footrest. This position spoiles that buityful and excelent bikes. Everythings changes tremendously mounting set back footrests! Even with Strada handlebars, and with clipons it is obligatorio if you don´t like feeling like sitting on the toilet, riding a bike :wink: . It realy makes a great difference and is a big relief for the knees as well.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Gents thanks for all the replies. Yes the foot peg placement is an actual pain. Also the kickstart lever on my bike is permanently stuck out not foldable like a normal bike.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement aftermarket foldable kickstart that will fit .
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

norbert wrote: 28 Mar 2023 22:45 :lol:
The worst thing of the Morinis (nearly the only thing) to me is the position of the footrest. This position spoiles that buityful and excelent bikes. Everythings changes tremendously mounting set back footrests! Even with Strada handlebars, and with clipons it is obligatorio if you don´t like feeling like sitting on the toilet, riding a bike :wink: . It realy makes a great difference and is a big relief for the knees as well.
I guess I'm spoiled as mine came with rearsets so I've only every known a comfortable bike!