Spewing oil.

Maestro, SEI-V
Clive

Spewing oil.

Post by Clive »

Hi.
Changed oil on my 500. Filled to half way between dipstick marks.
Went for a ride and upon returning home a pool of oil appeared under the bike.
On closer inspection the area around the dipstick, the frame members behind this and the rear disc and tyre had a coating of oil.
Appears to be no leak from drain or oil filter cover.
I also noticed a lot of mayonnaise, far more than normal, in the rocker breather pipes and air filter breathers where they enter the oil colector/seperator box.
Any ideas?
There was no problem before the oil change ...
P.S - Why does the oil emulsify in the rocker breathers? I never do below 50 mile when I take the bike out so it reaches a good operating temp.
Thanks.
72degrees

Re: Spewing oil.

Post by 72degrees »

Have you changed it before, and how much did you put in?

A strong sense of déjà vu :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3679
Pat

Post by Pat »

A strong sense of "not pushing the dipstick all the way in".
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi
72 degrees, I have changed the oil before several times, following the same script every time.
Sam oil, same amount, about 2.75 litres, never had a problem before.
Pat- I most definitely do push the dipstick fully in, but you may have a point, in as much that the dipstick is quite 'slack' in its orifice.
I may renew the o-rings on the stick, although as I said above I've never had this before, having carried out three previous changes in the 4000 miles I've covered since I got the bike.
Clive
Clive

Post by Clive »

Pat- on first reading your post I thought you were offering a constructive comment but on subsequent readings it appears that you are in fact, at worst insulting my intelligence and at best taking the piss. So thanks for that.
exoticices

Post by exoticices »

Hi Clive, I've just replaced the oil pressure sensor which was leaving oil in places you wouldn't expect it to get to. Doesn't sound like your problem and wouldn't explain the 'mayonnaise' but might be worth checking.
John
https://www.facebook.com/xiaomei.griffiths
In a fifty mile race I am the best, I ride five miles and skid the rest.
vsb

Post by vsb »

Your reply to Pat's comment - a little terse perhaps? If the dipstick isn't sealing properly, the symptoms are as you describe. If the o rings on the dipstick are worn or hardened oil gets all over the back of the engine. I know as I replaced the base gaskets before I worked this out. Not much fun on a 500 as the engine has to come out. Oh well...
norbert

Post by norbert »

Clive wrote:Pat- on first reading your post I thought you were offering a constructive comment but on subsequent readings it appears that you are in fact, at worst insulting my intelligence and at best taking the piss. So thanks for that.
:shock:

To me it´s a normal sugestion, a worn O-ring or a dipstick not carefully put in produces taht symptons.

norbert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well spotted Norburt et al-I was indeed offering a suggestion having had same issue on a push fit dipstick albeit not a morini. Clive, in future I'll put it in bold when I'm taking the piss, you're clearly sensitive about not pushing the dipstick in far enough...Thanks for opening up to us...group hug anyone?
Clive

Post by Clive »

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY PAT, but to me 'a strong sense of not pushing the dipstick all the way in' is neither a suggestion nor comment, but indicates that you have definite knowledge and therefore implying I failed to replace the dipstick correctly.
I may be touchy, but there you go. Unfortunately perfection, especially in Morini ownership, still eludes me.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Clive, you probably didn't read the thread immediately before mine, or you MAY have twigged the reference. You didn't say if it turned out to be the dipstick or not,You're probably still touchy, tho perfection is an abstract concept! :D
Clive

Post by Clive »

It is still doing it, albeit not as bad so I'm guessing the drop in level is helping here.
Although as I said in my previous post I've changed the oil several times, each time filling to halfway between marks and never experienced it before.
Haven't had time to give it all a proper look over as I'm a self employed stonemason so work takes up much of my time.
All pipework, i.e. rocker breathers, crankcase to separator box seem to be ok, no obvious leaks from anywhere, so I'm pretty stumped.
I'm gonna re-new the dipstick o rings to see if that helps.
Bike runs well so don't think it's anything like a ring problem causing excess crankcase pressure.
Perhaps the bike was just having an off day.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Clive, if it is the dipstick blowing (I'm convinced from the sound it is) it tracks down the back towards the swinging arm pivot point and to the right past the front stainless bit of chain guard gets picked up by the chain and sprays the rear tyre, mainly on the right. I just pulled mine up till it was loose and rode for a couple of miles and that's what happened. I had to clean it anyway. Probably the mayo is where water is emulsifying with the oil as your dipstick is loose leading to water ingress ion. Pat.
Clive

Post by Clive »

There was some oil on the right hand side of the tyre but it was worse on the left. The disc had quite a thick film on it.
Hopefully I'll have Sunday free this week- if I'm not working, so I'll give it a thorough course of looking at and treat it to some new o rings, if it still carries on misbehaving after that there'll be trouble!
If I wanted oil all over my shed floor I'd have bought an old British bike instead of a namby pamby sulky Italian one.
norbert

Post by norbert »

How is the repiracion pipe on thr left side?

norbert