Suitability of 500 for touring

Maestro, SEI-V
MickeyMoto

Suitability of 500 for touring

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

Never ridden a 500, but is this bike suitable for touring Europe (300 mile days max) two up?

The economy and handling will be right, but what about comfort and keeping up with modern traffic on the Autoroute (80 MPH / 130 Kph)?

Just returned from a great trip on a modern Honda and did not exceed 95 (150 Ks), so top end not important.

Would also be used for occasional commute and days out, but that should be no problem.

Is there a difference between the 5 and 6 speed models in terms of performance etc?

thanks,

Mike.
EVguru

Re: Suitability of 500 for touring

Post by EVguru »

Well for starters, see the partial copy of Dave Minton's;

A Long Ride South

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/thecl ... /alrs.html
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

thank you.

The more I read the more I think a lower powered two wheeler is just right for the job. Do I really need 120BHP, £100 tyres every few months, wrecked chains and poor fuel economy? Can't remember the last time I went more than 2/3rds of the way around the tacho without being in licence losing country - in 2nd gear!

It is fun though.... :twisted:

I must be getting old.

Mike.
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

I have used my 500 a lot for touring, from the Swiss Alps to John O'Groat, but always alone on the bike so I can only guess for two up. For me, it is perfect for riding to the other end of the world at around 110 km/hr. The 478 engine does not like to rev like a 3 1/2 Sport, and it sits comfortably around 4,500 RPMP at that speed (well, as far as you can rely on the instruments). The 6-speed engine might be better as you could use the 6th gear as an overdrive by fitting a smaller rear sprocket. Otherwise, there is no difference in power between 5- and 6-speed.

I'm not sure anyway that it will not be sometimes hard work when the road is going up to keep 130 km/hr. The ideal might be the latest 501 engine that altogether is more powerfull and revs happily. Anyway you would need a donor bike as it was only fitted to the latest Camel and the Excalibur. And I felt the new ignition from NLM provides a better behaviour at mid-range.

Morinis have not been designed for highways; if you do nothing to the riding position you will quickly get cramped with pain in the back. The footrests are too far forward, especially if you have low bars or clip-ons like on the Sport. I would advise to install rearsets: they really make it more comfortable. But the best advise is to leave the Autoroute as soon as possible. A good deal of Europe -from the south of Belgium through France to Italy or Spain, is a tremendous playground full of twisty roads seemingly designed for Morinis (or is it the other way round?)

Enjoy!

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of 'Strada', so hopefully back problems wouldn't be an issue, unless the footpegs are that badly positioned. The only problem I have is that to get to the interesting bits in Europe you need to get to them on the Autoroute. Or do you? 110km/h is great for the French D roads, though, so maybe the answer is to not touch the motorways, take time and enjoy the scenery. The only other problem is I live 450kms from the Tunnel... that's a days ride off the motorways, or half a day on the motorway.

.......Or buy a Gran Passo.

Hmmm.

MM
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Well, I allways considered that half a day on the motorway is half a day lost, while a full day on secondary roads is already holidays. Of course this is just a personal opinion and it widely depends on how far you want to go and how much time you have. To go to Cadwell I take the motorway, even if I don't like it.

I am lucky to live in the south of Belgium; just where it all begins...

Footpegs on the 500 are at the same place as on the 3 1/2. The result for your back will be the same.

Bruno
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have used my 350 for camping trips and after some effort have come up with a way of fixing a tent on the seat, and with throw over panniers I can manage.But not 2 up.I also have a 1978 BMW (ok it's only a 60/7)I'd take the latter for 2 up touring every time because of it's ability to carry proper luggage, decent lights,works in severe weather,doesn't corrode,starter motor works( good job too as it ain't got a kick start),good fuel range,brakes work,comfortable,no chain and a plentiful supply of bits about (not that you'd need them.) I know the gearboxes are prone to problems every 50,000 miles or so which can be a drag but there you go. I've also been miles on a R100RS in 2 up camping mode in the past- only as far as le Mans or Poperinge.Brilliant fairing-90mph all day no breeze at all. Twin ATE brakes are interesting.A post 81 model has better brakes.This is beginning to sound like the BMW Club forum-heaven forfend.
So...why is it every time I go to my garage I get on the Morini....
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I blame my son.... since taking him for a long weekend in France last year he enjoyed it so much he gets upset if I leave him at home now. If it was just me I'd take the Dart with a gallon of 95 starpped to the seat....

Mike
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Well then how about selling up and buying a house in France?
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Makes me remember of the French star Georges Monneret doing a "Tour de France" on a 50cc Moped, with the wife on the back and young son in a single-wheel trailor.

... But if it is the Dart, you would need a trailor with a bodywork that fits the bike...

Bruno
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

In 1987 I took my 2C/375 to France, two up with camping gear. Just D roads unless absolutely necessary. I doubt we did 300 miles every day though.

In 1993 we went to Milan and back in a week on a Gilera Nordwest. They have not much more power than a 500 Morini and it coped with motorway, autoroute and autopstrada OK. Definitely > 300 miles a day.

1995 was the 350 K2 to northern france for 5 days. Ok on the autoroute, but killed a transducer. Fortunately I had packed a spare (plus a pickup).

The biggest pain weas getting down through the UK to the channel port or tunnel, and then the return to the joys of the M25. Still is, now I do it regularly in a car.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Looks like I've started something here for another topic area.....

So to recap the answers:

1: Buy a BMW
2. Buy a house in France as it is less distance to the interesting roads
3. Go on my own and upset my son
4. Buy a trailer
5. Avoid motorways
6. Turn GB upside down so the North is nearer France (don't get me started on the M25 - 2.5 hours to do 50 miles!)
7. Take it easy and enjoy the ride.
8. Stay in hotels so bike not overloded with kitchen sink
9. Buy a 500 anyway as they are great bikes and just use it and enjoy it.

Number 9 is the clear winner...

Thanks for the help. :D

Mike.
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Great choice! The best you could do.

... and highly compatible with 5 and 7.

Bruno
alan j

Post by alan j »

Missed all this as I have been away in Italy-but not on my Morini!!-Been to Italy twice on my 500-and to Germany 2 up with "the dearly beloved" and camping gear-when I camp I have bee accused of taking "the kitchen sink!' It will hold 70m.ph. 2 up-but 60 I find more comfortable on a sustained trip. 60m.p.h=60 miles per gallon! :lol: :lol: Who needs "a Charlie Borrman?"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have taken the plunge and recently purchased a 500 Sport with Tarozzi rear sets. I find it quite comfortable, went for a ride today and managed 100 miles with no problems confort wise. The fuel economy is also quite astounding...... it went on to reserve at 200kms and I only put in 9 litres, the electronic tap has been removed, so need to experiment with the fuel taps.

It is a 1981 imported in 1998 (but think it may be 1982) and has a 6 speed gearbox but no Sei-V on the side panels. I am really enjoying it, it cruises really nicely at 90kph on A and B roads but can easily be made to go faster, as today when I was chasing a couple of Breganze made bikes....
Best of all, nothing more to pay to add to my existing Laverda insurance, a result!

Roll on next summer....

Mike.