new toy

Maestro, SEI-V
lemans

Re: new toy

Post by lemans »

more riding but unfortunatly no pictures
did a round trip to my dad yesterday, 100 miles single trip
bike runs great, exhaustnoise is rather present, clutch slips at WOT.
fun to ride but after 100 miles it is rather "small"
reserve tap not working, that wasn''t fun
lemans

Post by lemans »

at the moment I'm having a small problem with the clutch, slipping at WOT.
solution seems easy enough, check for wear on clutch-plates or for fouling/oil of clutch-plates. this seems easy enough.

the hard part is to get the six bronze adapter screws out of the clutch. is there special tool to do so or some kind of trick?.
regards Anne
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I cut a small piece of flat steel to give two pins with a cutaway so it engages with the top of the clutch nuts, or you could do similar with a box spanner of suitable small diameter or cut a slot out of an old screwdriver. I can carry the metal piece though in my toolkit.
The nuts themselves might not readily unscrew, or the studs can turn with the nut if they have come loose.Lets hope that does not happen.
Clutch plates may be worn or contaminated with oil, you may see a small amount of oil at the bottom of the clutch case if it is leaking. Sometimes the cups that the springs fit into can stretch slightly so that the spring pressure is effectively reduced.The cups can be nipped up gently in a vice if they are stretched but they must still fit through the outer cover.
Let us know if you get stuck.
John
huub

Post by huub »

i am not aware of a special tool , i ground a old 3/8 socket to fit the slot.
having said that , they can be a pain to remove the first time .
add copper grease when refitting them prevent the same happening again.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Be careful if the nuts don´t come loose! You can try heating them up and give them some time bathed with WD40 or something like that. Before you apply too much force and loosen the studs, I would prefer to destroy/cut the collar of the cups, so you can take off the presure plate and the rest of the plates. Then it´s easier to work on the nuts. There are studs hexagonales and round ones. If you are luck you have hexagonales and can hold them with a box wrench when trying to take off the nuts. If the studs become loose you´ll have another issue. It´s much easier and cheaper to find some new cups than a center barrel in good conditions!

If you get scared to loose the studs: give a good bath of brake cleaner spray to the plates, sometimes that can help without dismantling the clutch.

The nuts shall be mounted always with copper grease and it´s not necessary to put them on with strength, they won´t come loose!
k-DSCI0148.JPG
k-DSCI0148.JPG (20.22 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

lemans wrote: 12 Feb 2022 15:03 more riding but unfortunatly no pictures
did a round trip to my dad yesterday, 100 miles single trip
bike runs great, exhaustnoise is rather present, clutch slips at WOT.
fun to ride but after 100 miles it is rather "small"
reserve tap not working, that wasn''t fun
A simple hack might help you reduce or remove the clutch slip. Here's my suggestion, remove the clutch cover (4 screws) if it's not already removed. Then spray brake cleaner into the clutch basket aiming to get it in as deep as you can in order to wash the clutch plates of oil or other contaminants. I've done this several times over the years when my clutches have slipped and it's often made a useful short term improvement (whatever the cause of the contamination needs to be addressed for a long term improvement).

I've done this rotating the clutch basket slowly and piecemeal using the kickstart and I've also done it with the engine running at idle. I use the clutch lever in both cases to help separate the clutch plates.
When the engine's running I will lean the bike to the left so the brake cleaner + any contaminants runs out from the bottom of the clutch.

Good luck.
lemans

Post by lemans »

made a small adapter like the screwdriver in Norbert's post and then the nuts came of quite easily, after some ....correctly applied force.
all plates were more or less contaminated with oil so left them to soak in thinner/cleaner for some time, polished and cleaned them
refitted in reverse order

testride tomorrow morning, will keep you informed
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

We're the oil seals behind the clutch leaking? Otherwise, it will be good for a while... :)
lemans

Post by lemans »

MickeyMoto wrote: 29 Mar 2022 08:36 We're the oil seals behind the clutch leaking? Otherwise, it will be good for a while... :)
couldn't really see but the clutchbasket and plates weren't overly coated with oil. just a little contamination. (although my reference is a BSA A65, if it isn't dripping it is oiltight)

we'll see.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

If an A65 isn't dripping it's empty !! :D
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

My A65 did not leak oil. American Export white frame MPL676L. Last spotted in Swindon with a big tank and a black frame. Bought from Daytona Motorcycles, not in sunny Florida but in Ruislip. A very attractive bike with no unpleasant features, except knocking out capacitors and the Boyer used to need the polarity reversing from time to time to encourage a spark.
Followed by a phase of 3 cylinder bikes. How does 30 mikes per pint grab you?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

3potjohn wrote: 30 Mar 2022 15:04 Followed by a phase of 3 cylinder bikes. How does 30 mikes per pint grab you?
I'd prefer 30 pints per Mike, but hey ho!
lemans

Post by lemans »

3potjohn wrote: 30 Mar 2022 15:04 Followed by a phase of 3 cylinder bikes. How does 30 mikes per pint grab you?
I reworked my A65 quit considerably, 5-speed box, newby belt, 90 drg-crank, alu-nikasil barrels and my own ignition. and with a good crankcase vent was almost oiltight. not tight but almost there. oil consumption dropped to a pint per 3000km. but after standing for some time-> always a drop.
https://swf-ignitionsystems.nl/wp-conte ... Y87551.mp4

as for the Moto-Morini-clutch -> problem solved. cleaning does work

new challenge; were to obtain airfilter cartridges; 500 sport
or has someone come up with an equivalent filter
regards Anne
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I bought air filter elements for the 500 from Mdina last year.
As an aside, in the mid 1980's I was the passenger and co-owner of a BSA A65 classic racing sidecar outfit. As the slightly more mechanically minded member of the crew I was responsible for the engine work. It went well, still a 650 that we revved the nuts off when every other A65 was at least 750 and some 840 too. We wore it out but never blew it up, finished 4th in a CRMC championship and weren't known for leaving our territory marked with oil drops either. It can be done, grasshopper.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

lemans wrote: 28 Mar 2022 19:21 made a small adapter like the screwdriver in Norbert's post and then the nuts came of quite easily, after some ....correctly applied force.
all plates were more or less contaminated with oil so left them to soak in thinner/cleaner for some time, polished and cleaned them
refitted in reverse order

testride tomorrow morning, will keep you informed
Is no news good news in this instance?