NLM ignition won't light strobe

Maestro, SEI-V
RobinSF1

NLM ignition won't light strobe

Post by RobinSF1 »

I have recently returned to Morini ownership after a 30 year break, having bought an '83 500 Sei, which I am delighted with. The engine was rebuilt by a previous owner in 2014 and an NLM ignition fitted in 2015, only 59 miles recorded since 2014 MOT. I changed the oil and cambelt and put on 500 miles to run in the new big end shells and rings before doing a full service.

I just hooked up my strobe to check the timing and it won't flash. I tried both HT leads and neither flashes. Checked the strobe on my Laverda which has Boyer Bransden dual output coil and it flashed merrily. The strobe is one of these https://simonbbc.com/powerspark-profess ... ark-tl100/ with an inductive pickup.

On this forum, I have found references to strobing an NLM ignition, so this may be a red herring. The engine starts first kick, (which my first Morini seldom did when almost brand new) so the ignition must be functioning pretty well.

What strobes have other members successfully used?

Thanks Robin
3potjohn

Re: NLM ignition won't light strobe

Post by 3potjohn »

I have 2 Morinis and an oldish beemer. My Gunson strobe with an inductive pickup works perfectly on the beemer and one Morini with the conventional ignition but on the other Morini with Kokusan ignition the light cuts out after a few seconds . I power it from a spare battery and if I break then make a terminal connection the flash is restored briefly. An old neon strobe I also have which plugs in between the HTcap and spark plug does not cut out .
Don’t know if the rate of rise in current not triggering the flash is the issue-beyond my knowledge I am afraid.
John
Bjay

Post by Bjay »

Hi 3potjohn, I've just successfully strobe timed my wife's 3 1/2 Strada with an ancient Gunson strobe. We're running a NLM set up, with non resistor plug caps and copper core HT lead. The strobe gives a clear sharp flash. I have the pickup gaps at 2-3 thou. Hope this helps, Ski.
RobinSF1

Post by RobinSF1 »

Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking along the lines of the HT side (forgetting to mention NGK 5K ohm caps and BP8ES plugs which had been gapped), but it turns out at least with my strobe, it is the DC side. Connecting to the Laverda battery and Morini HT lead it strobes.

Morini battery is brand new, 12.5v when engine is off, rising to 14.25v with engine revving. Checked connections are OK measuring voltage across croc clips. Seems a bigger (more Amps) battery was required.

All adjusted now, it was about 10 degrees retarded at 6K RPM