starter motor woes.

Maestro, SEI-V
bigred

starter motor woes.

Post by bigred »

Hi. Watched the paul compton videos on the starter system. Stripped and cleaned the motor etc and the motor ran well on the bench. Asembled everything and got about 8 engine starts and then nothing. I suspected a stuck brush as it would work a couple of times if I hit the casing with rubber mallet.
Decided to strip the motor again but the cap covering the brushes etc wouldnt come off without so serious effort. The bearing is locked onto the shaft and had locked into the ally cover. The plate holding the brushes got twisted slightly but all seemed ok. Freed up a stuck brush and made sure all the others moved ok. Re-assembled but now its shorting somewhere when the cap is put back on.
Can anyone tell me the correct resistance between the positive stud and that case.
I am getting 0 ohms. I can get 0.1 ohms after some rebuilds but as soon as I twist the output shaft it drops to 0 ohms again.
bigred

Re: starter motor woes.

Post by bigred »

Hi I have sorted the issue. For future reference it was one of the copper/brass rivets that connect a bus bar between some brushes had broken on the underside of the brush plate. So banging on the side cover montarily made a connection until it wen no further. Replaced the rivet with an m3 screw and nut and all is working again. That took some finding.
I am getting 0.1ohms resistance between the power stud and case.
3potjohn

Re: starter motor woes.

Post by 3potjohn »

Good that is fixed. The first I stripped my starter motor, in 2007 I found the whole brush holder assembly to be corroded. Maybe the motor had been stored damp previously in a Roman catacomb from which city the bike once lived.
In those days I was able to buy a new one. In the meantime I have managed to clean up the old one.
John