500 sport

Maestro, SEI-V
Neadethal

500 sport

Post by Neadethal »

Well she's arrived and is indeed rough as described, but engine is seized and was told it was free, bugger!
It's so lovely and light, will be a joy.
Guess when the time arrives it will be a full engine rebuild, just can't take the risk.
Would attach photo but site limit exceeded!
Steve Brown

Re: 500 sport

Post by Steve Brown »

That's a bit naughty of the seller then! Not sure how much you've researched but a complete rebuild can get very expensive and some bits are difficult to find. I had a 500 engine that was stuck when I got it but I decided to soak the bores for a few days and then try to free the stuck pistons by gently working the crank back and forth. I was lucky and it did free off. As the mileage was very low (around 13,000 miles) I decided to try running it to see how good it was. That engine has been in my trail bike now for 4 years and runs beautifully with out any untoward noises. If you go the full rebuild route you may regret it! If yours frees off and sounds bad you can make a decision then. If lucky as I was, a few oil flushes and you'll be away!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Neadethal

Re: 500 sport

Post by Neadethal »

Thanks Steve.
Have already had a discussion with vendor who is embarrassed by the situation and seems to be prepared to play fair.
I had a stuck xs650 I imported but had to resort to a large aluminium drift to free it up. I'll try the usual recipe of diesel and atf down the plug holes for a week or so. Also have a USB borescope so could check for dropped valves. Think engine has to vote out for head removal of rear cylinder from what I've read.