Rear head removal

Maestro, SEI-V
Neadethal

Rear head removal

Post by Neadethal »

Have searched the forum without finding an obvious answer. Can you remove the rear head with engineb in frame, even if it needs mounts loosening. Want to see if engine still stuck with heads off before delving deeper.
Many thanks Ian
Steve Brown

Re: Rear head removal

Post by Steve Brown »

I've never done that but apparently yes, it is possible. It needs the engine mounting bolts removed etc and I think someone suggested removing the cylinder studs too. That would all help but they are usually quite tight.
In my view, removing the engine from the frame is only a few minutes more work than trying to tilt it and juggle the bits about.
Once the engine is out in the open the job is a simple as it gets. I also think that if you have removed the head you will also most likely disturb the cylinder base gasket joint. Then you'll have a weep from there too. If on your bike the problem is light corrosion sticking the rings to the bore, then it's worth giving the bores a gentle de-glaze/hone. With that done in many cases those original rings will bed themselves in nicely to the bore. I don't like replacing things that still have life in them. :roll:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

Thanks Steve, i'll stop being lazy and heave the old girl out.
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

The unhappiness continues...
Removed ignition cover to try rocking crank end nut, only to find no rotor or stator, reading advert again this was declared, bugger.
Now some may say, it forces my hand to upgrade to sachse ignition which is a good move but my budget for engine work is rapidly being consumed and I haven't found the cause of the seized engine.
Onwards and upwards, love a challenge!

Is it worth sourcing original or just buying new sachse?
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

The rear head and cylinder on a 500 can be removed with the airbox/wiring out of the way and the piston at BDC
They need to be tilted forward to remove them and it is a tight squeeze; no need to remove engine bolts, cylinder studs etc

Hope it all works out fine, have fun
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

The Sachse ignition will be a good system but you obviously need a good charging system to keep it working,especially if you ant lights on too. Are you missing the other ignition parts too? i.e. the pick up, its rotor and transducers. If you only need the flywheel and stator they can be found relatively easily. I have some stuff but not sure if I have a decent spare flywheel yet. The best of these charging systems were only around 140W so if you did go 12v digital ignition you might be needing to go all LED lights too.
I'm away till the end of April now but let me know if you do need stuff.
I would lean towards sourcing the standard stuff depending just how much is missing and also I wouldn't be ordering anything till I knew what the engine needed.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.