No spark on either cylinders

Maestro, SEI-V
Darmah860

No spark on either cylinders

Post by Darmah860 »

My 500 started ok then went onto one pot then stopped, checked fuel, have checked for spark but none on either cylinders any advice, I've also checked fuses, and earths
Ta Si
Steve Brown

Re: No spark on either cylinders

Post by Steve Brown »

First off, the fuses as originally wired have no connection with the ignition system. The ignition (if standard) is self generating, basically an electronic magneto.
First thing I'd suggest is to disconnect the green wire that goes to the ignition switch. The engine is switched off by earthing this green lead out. The kill switch on the bars does the same so should also be worth disconnecting at the fuse box end. The green wire that comes up from the engine/alternator feeds lower voltage to the ignition boxes (transducers/CDI) under the tank. It goes first to the connector block where the fuses are but isn't fused-it's just a junction box. If this green wire gets earthed either by the switched or damage to the wiring it will stop the sparks.
After that if no joy, you will need to look at the coil that supplies that green wire, check its resistance etc and also test what voltage comes out of it when the engine is cranked.
If the failure was in the pick up or the CDI boxes then it would most likely only lose sparks on one cylinder.
Just a thought, the engine will crank over on these bikes with the kill switch in the off position-you've checked that I guess?
It's worth getting an over view of the original ignition system so you understand how it works and most importantly, why you don't want battery voltage applying to it!
Good luck, let us know what happened next.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Darmah860

Re: No spark on either cylinders

Post by Darmah860 »

Will have a look did think of the kill switch
Ta Si