Camel Mk 2 fork oil

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Kamel

Camel Mk 2 fork oil

Post by Kamel »

Folks, I’ve had a good search on here, but cannot find how much fork oil goes in a Camel Mk2 with 38mm forks. Can anyone enlighten me please?

While we are on the subject what weight oil do people recommend?

Cheers in advance.

Kamel.
Steve Brown

Re: Camel Mk 2 fork oil

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Cliff, I'd say 400cc of oil, anything from 5w to 15w depending on your preference. After my forks were re-chromed they had quite a bit of stiction until they were 'run in'. Initially I used 0w then 2.5w oil and am now about to refill with 10w which is pretty standard for many forks of the era. You can play with the oil level a little too, to aid springing (a bit)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Ming

Post by Ming »

This is copied from the Marzocchi fork overhaul manual (on a Ducati site, I think), if it is any use. Precise weights / volumes depend on rider weight, usage and preferences. I have normally used ATF oil for the last 40 years - around 10W I think.
forkoil.png
forkoil.png (350.31 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Thanks Steve & Ming!!

I actually managed to find that fork manual, so if anybody needs a copy let me know. I don’t think there is a document library on here to upload it to is there?

Cheers,

Kamel.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Thanks Ming, that's the doc I was thinking of! I don't know if I missed it before but see there is the mention of the oil level now-130mm. This is always a better setting to use than volume of oil as you can be sure of an equal 'air spring' effect each side. I would guess too that experimenting with the levels will be more predictable with a base oil level to work from.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

I wonder why they state different methods for off or on bike filling. The latter seems simpler TBH. Anyhoo, I've just drained the legs and there was some pretty dirty oil in them. Just going to make a 130mm suction device.

If anybody is interested the gaiters I fitted are Ariete 07995 also available in red or blue. They look as though they will last some time, as they are a very supple sort of vinyl material.

https://www.ariete.com/wp-content/uploa ... Ariete.pdf

New fork gaiters
New fork gaiters
New fork gaiters.jpg (192.47 KiB) Viewed 3682 times

Cheers and thanks again.