Kanguro 90º Tacho Drive

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Firingonone

Re: Kanguro 90º Tacho Drive

Post by Firingonone »

Further to previous post I found these photographs

this shows the press in circular central plug on the outside of tacho drive (silver grey)
IMG_20190928_142405.jpg
IMG_20190928_142405.jpg (40.21 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
This is the broken shaft lying on the helical drive .Drifting it pushed out grey disc releasing helical drive shaft.
IMG_20190928_142334.jpg
IMG_20190928_142334.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
I then replaced the central shaft with an appropriate length of square section bar and tapped the disc back from the outside in after replacing the gear in position.
I hope this is of help
Regards Firingonone
stratos23

Post by stratos23 »

morini_tom wrote: 17 Jan 2023 08:29
stratos23 wrote: 17 Jan 2023 05:19

Brilliant, thanks Tom!

… I'll put an order through to Mdina (although last time I tried ordering a whole lot of Morini parts from them, they were a lot less enthusiastic than NLM used to be - I think they're primarily Ducati people!).
Give Mdina another try. Doug who is the new owner of Mdina (since a little over a year ago) is very keen to support the Morini community and has been investing in new stock, is working hard to get more of the parts listed and photographed online (an endless task) and although he is also primarily a Ducati man, he has embraced Morinis- hes’s bought himself a kanguro and attended the club rally and AGM last year.
Thanks again Tom - that's really good to hear. I contacted Mdina for a quote a few years back - and it was a big shopping list (all parts required for a full engine rebuild) ... but they were so uninterested, I ended up getting it all from Alessandro Luzzi in Italy (who was great). I'll try them again in future.

I'm also primarily a Ducati guy, but that doesn't mean I don't get excited about Morini's ...or Guzzi's or Bimota's or Lambrettas - or anything Italian for that matter, 2 wheels of four. The Morini was also my first ever Italian motorcycle, so will always have a soft spot for them!
stratos23

Post by stratos23 »

Firingonone wrote: 19 Jan 2023 19:56 Further to previous post I found these photographs

this shows the press in circular central plug on the outside of tacho drive (silver grey)
IMG_20190928_142405.jpg

This is the broken shaft lying on the helical drive .Drifting it pushed out grey disc releasing helical drive shaft.
IMG_20190928_142334.jpg
I then replaced the central shaft with an appropriate length of square section bar and tapped the disc back from the outside in after replacing the gear in position.
I hope this is of help
Regards Firingonone
This kind of can-do approach is brilliant - especially when the part in question isn't being made any more. I wondered about prying off the end plate, but it looked pretty sealed. But knowing it's possible has motivated me to follow your wisdom - much appreciated advice and thanks for taking time to send the photo's too! :D
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have now joined the worn tacho club. Very interested in the repair idea. Have pm’d about the square bar as have nothing here.
John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have fortunately acquired a replacement drive but will try and repair the worn one.
John
hombre

Post by hombre »

I still have a couple of those, in Amsterdam though where I won't be for a while. I don't think they are very rare btw, Excaliburs have them too, and those have been sacrificed a lot, so there must be some about here and there...