Using an old gasket

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Using an old gasket

Post by 3potjohn »

I did the valve clearances on my Coguaro. Luckily no issues only one needing a slight tweak. I have yet to figure out how to undo the rear bolt on the front rocker cover which is no more than about 10 mm below the airbox. Even a cut down allen key will not fit. So I did the get everything off routine. All done and buttoned up but I now have a weep from the reused gasket.
On any other bike I have that would not be much of a problem to fix. Oh well….
MickeyMoto

Re: Using an old gasket

Post by MickeyMoto »

Must be some debris underneath the gasket. Not often I have changed any rocker cover gaskets.

For the Coguaro, it is best to remove the engine to dobthe rear valve clearance! :)
norbert

Post by norbert »

Since a couple of years all the rocker box gaskets I bought (in diferent places) resulted a shi... (the old ones were much better!) They seem to be made of two layers that after the second time of controling valves are not congruent. For some years I prefered just silicon withaut any gasket to keep al dry. This winter I´ve made some myself with 1mm gasket paper. We´ll see wether they will work :roll:
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Well the leak has healed itself. I bought some hole punches with a view to making gaskets last year so just need to get some Flexoid gasket paper. It is the front rocker cover that is the problem access wise. To use the parlance of a Scottish friend “ whoever designed that airbox needs shot”
norbert

Post by norbert »

To mantain the Coguaro as all the latest Enduros is a pain, How nice the street bikes where you can reach anything and what an action only to change the rear spark plugs of a Camel o Coguaro 501. But the thing is, that they realy work fine with theses air filters.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

I made some rocker cover gaskets from a silicone saucepan lid thingy I bought from Aldi. I glued them onto the covers with silicone and sat them on a very flat surface until it set. They only need a light nip up and don't leak.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Luckily after a bit more riding the leak has definitely gone. Had a weeping rocker gasket last year on my R75/7. How long did it take me to replace it? About ten minutes.

That is an interesting Aldi tip. I got a yoga mat from there a few months back. Not for doing yoga with. Cut out a set of linings for a toilet cistern. No more condensation.