Noisy clutch?

The 3 1/2 forum
Arfer Job

Noisy clutch?

Post by Arfer Job »

Just recommissioned a 1983 350 sport. Electrics sorted. New belt, oil, fuel taps service etc etc. Running lovey now apart from a noisy clutch which is worse when the lever is pulled in. Rattles a bit and occasionally seems to ring a little. Normal or am I stripping it down to check? I haven’t touched the clutch yet as it seems light and functions perfectly. Suggestions/advice please.
Anyone near Telford/Wolverhampton with one I could look at to compare?
George 350

Re: Noisy clutch?

Post by George 350 »

It is normal. 350 and 500's run dry clutches so are much noisier than a comparable Japanese bike.
Try listening to a dry clutch Ducati or a 1970's Yamaha TZ if you still think it is loud.
The clutch is noisier when disengaged as the plates have room to move around.
As long as a/ it doesnt slip, and b/ it doesn't grab on take up, all is probably OK.
Regards,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

I was just going to say, does it sound Ducati'ish?
Mine does. 8)
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
Arfer Job

Post by Arfer Job »

Probably is a bit Ducati like but still doesn’t sound quite right to me. Have taken the cover off and the springs seem to stand clear of the pressure plate quite a bit. Might as well take it apart and inspect it now I’ve got this far. Fingers crossed alls ok.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Should you take the spring retaining screws out, when you reassemble, add some copperslip/neverseez onto the threads. Don't overtighten them, whatever you do or they may never unscrew again! If anything, it is better to leave then 1/4 -1/2 turn from fully home. They do stay put, honest!
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Arfer Job

Post by Arfer Job »

Thanks. I’ll bear that in mind. Going to make a tool first that fits the spring caps properly.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I just tighten them up then back a quarter turn. I use a minute amount of dry moly paste on the threads.If the basket is worn and/or the plates have burrs then it does increase the rattle. But they do rattle a bit. If you grab the empty basket does it move up and down or any movement on the hub.
norbert

Post by norbert »

If the clutch works properly and you have problems to release the special nuts: leave it like it is!!! (until you realy have a problem with the clutch)
Aplying too much force on these nuts there is a certain risk of loosen the studs in the basket, and the you´ll have a problem indeed :wink:
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

What they all said. Mine has the WeeVee hex head spring nuts which make life easier, though I found a tool made for old BSAs works reasonably well with the OEM slotted nuts.

I'm in Wolverhampton if you want to compare and contrast. The springs standing clear of the plate sounds a bit odd - possibly one plate missing?

I did find when I had the 'forgotten error' that different plate stack/centre and basket combinations gave odd results. Might have been the way I rebuilt that engine though.

PM me if you want to have a look at the 375, which works well, is very smooth on take up after shimming but also rattles a fair bit. Not as much as the forgotten error used to, but I think some of that might have been down to a worn gear bushes.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Arfer Job

Post by Arfer Job »

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I may well take 72 degrees up on his offer of comparing bikes to check the clutch noise.